As North Carolina’s oldest town, Bath is rich in history. John Lawson, a well-known explorer and surveyor, laid out the original town in 1706. The town's 12 settlers allocated a place for a church, courthouse, and a marketplace. St. Thomas Church was erected in 1734. It is still in use today and is the location for many weddings. The Palmer-Marsh House is one of the oldest existing houses in the state, constructed in 1744. Built in 1830, the Bonner House overlooks the waters of Bath Creek joining the Pamlico River. The Van Der Veer House was constructed in 1790. This home is now the site of a museum exploring the life of Edward Teach, better known as Blackbeard the Pirate, who made Bath his home before his death in 1718.
The North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources operates the Historic Bath Visitors Center as part of the state historic site and offers tours of historic homes and buildings. Services include a free orientation film. The original town limits are the boundaries of a National Register historic district. You can take a self-directed walking tour or we have bicycles available for our guests.
Bath Tri-centennial flag
The town of Bathrecently had its tri-centennial celebration!
An excellent source for the history of Bath can be found at this site.